Wednesday, March 11, 2009



Hello everyone! (or might that be anyone?) I am now an official blogger...sometimes it takes me awhile to jump on that bandwagon. I'm not sure anyone will find anything I have to say of interest, but I'm giving it a try anyhow.



Life here on the prairie is usually lived in the slow lane, to steal a few words from Bertie, one of my cyber-sisters. There is nothing very exciting happening here right now, so I will talk about my current project.



I am working on my first "real" job, as in I'm actually getting paid to sew! I am putting together a queen sized quilt top for my aunt. The blocks are vintage Bonnet Girls and were hand embroidered and appliqued by my deceased grandmother decades ago. Her workmanship is exquisite and I wish this quilt was being passed down to me. But I am happy to be making this for my cousin and hopefully I can end up keeping at least one of the extra blocks.


This is also the most complex and largest quilt I've ever made and it's quite a challenge to find a large area in my very small house to lay the top out for measuring. The blocks started at about 8.5" and borders were added to enlarge the blocks to 10.5". I also added sashings and am now adding the third of five borders. I am very math challenged, so all these borders and figuring how to cut them is really giving my brain a workout!
Well, that's about all I have to say for now. Hopefully I will get Auntie's quilt top finished in a couple of days and be able to show you a picture.
If you've stumbled upon this, please leave a comment and let me know I'm not talking to myself!





No comments: